Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Applying Lessons

I have been home for a solid week since my seven day guitar immersion at the Miami International Guitar Festival and subsequent two day Walbertization. The whole 9 day adventure was a whirlwind of learning. I have had the opportunity to meet some fabulous guitarists. I was absolutely surrounded by talented and dedicated musicians whose skills rightfully are leaps and bounds beyond my relatively rudimentary level. As I reflect upon everything I become aware of how kind everyone was and even though there was a huge musical divide I was not shunned or ignored. I have tried my best to gain knowledge and nudge my skills forward as I participated in workshops, individual lessons with Richard Gilewitz and David Walbert, observed demonstrations and performances and listened to conversations of the guitarists. In this current week's time I have done my best to catch up on chores that were neglected in my absence and to digest my lessons. My days have been sporadically broken into bits of playing, reviewing notes, reviewing video and making discrete video discs, and working on a couple of new pieces of music. I have been focusing a lot of energy on another David Walbert piece "Nocturne" I have some of the puzzle pieces memorized and am building it measure by measure. I am also working on "Anji" which was the focus of one of my lessons with Richard. I finally have gotten a feel for the timing and bluesy bounce of the piece and have a desperate need to burn that hard won achievement into my brain. Walbert made a few left hand adjustments in Study for Margot so I am working at incorporating those changes and just simply improving the piece. He also gave me a wealth of advice and exercises to improve the mechanics of my playing and begin to add some color and texture.
Soon I will begin preparations for the next adventure, attending the Original Dulcimer Players Funfest in Evart, Mi. Contrary to the title this is a huge acoustic music festival that provides workshops and playing opportunities for much more than hammered dulcimer players. Most acoustic instruments are represented and positive energy flows freely. John and I get to participate in this one together which is a definite plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment