Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Perfect Day

My day started at 9:00 am. This felt like sleeping in because it is the latest I have gotten up so far this summer and the longest I have slept. I followed my typical regime of preparing for the day by brushing my teeth and getting dressed, shuffled downstairs and started up the computer and grabbed the closest guitar which ended up being my 12 string. So I greeted the morning with a mournful rendition of The Foggy Dew, played around with the mood of the piece during many repetitions and moved on to Loch Lomond/Scotland the Brave. All because the 12 string beastie was already in Open C something tuning. I ignored the churning computer for another 45 minutes or so and moved onto working on Nocturne and Anji, my current main focuses. I have this goal of getting Nocturne memorized before the weekend is out. I am creeping forward and not altogether confident that I will achieve that arbitrary challenge. A practice session feels totally incomplete if I haven't played Dance and Study for Margot so they both got ample attention today along with Freight Train, Falling Slowly and Scarborough Fair.
I forced a separation between me and instruments and left to get my morning Starbuck's Frappacino(at some point I realized I hadn't had anything to eat yet) and to get some DVD cases for the festival videos I have rendered. By this time the morning had waned and mid-day surfaced. After organizing the videos, I couldn't help but grab the guitars and get back to work on my playing. I ran through a few of the exercises Walbert presented to me then picked my way through several tunes.
John was my nourishment savior and came home from work with a sandwich from Subway for my dinner. Thanks hon! Then it was off to Fire Arts for me to mentor the high school kids who are participating in summer studio. I keep a guitar at the studio and took a few breaks from the kids and played some more music. In fact I ended up leaving about an hour late because I was pretty absorbed in the tunes. My studio buddies seem to be a willing audience, at least I hope I'm not torturing their ears. They did stay until I was finished.... Not so true although for the pit bull dog one of the kids brought to the studio. He was sweet tempered and friendly until I began to play. He absolutely was offended by the sound of my guitar. It completely frightened the poor pup and he huddled next to his owner and barked at every strum. Fortunately, my dog is completely unaffected by the sound of my playing and often lays next to me during a practice session.

No comments:

Post a Comment