Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Fantastic Concert

Last night Richard and Mir Ali presented their music to an appreciative audience. Mir opened the set with a series of fantastic numbers that showcased his incredible skills. Unlike other classical performers that I have seen, he is relaxed and poised on stage. He even presented with a bit of humor. I think this was interjected because he knew Richard wasn't going to hold back during his set. I did not get drowsy during his set so I think that was a sign that he was good. Richard's playing was top-notch and he really entertained the group with his skills and banter. One can only wonder how a "classical" audience relates to this sort of performance. Judging by the laughter and applause, I think he was a hit. As is typical for me, I found myself completely absorbed in his playing. I listened for enjoyment and for learning. Every time I attend one of his concerts I try to soak in something new, nuances like vibratos, ghost notes, glissandos etc. He provided me with two study sessions yesterday. One session was paired with our lunch where he went over aspects of promotion, using the Festival as an example to learn from. He also gave me a hypothetical situation and asked how I'd handle it. With yesterday's concert as a foundation, here's the scenario: Mir Ali is suddenly ill and I have been elected to perform in his place. It is understood that I am not a "headlining" act but I need to fill 20 minutes of time with a set of tunes. Which tunes would I play and in what order? RG is the headliner so my set would precede his. I chose to start with Freight Train. I said I would include Scarborough Fair, my two Irish tunes, Study for Margot, Study in Bm, and I would finish on Echoing Gilewitz as a tribute to my teacher. He stressed retuning quickly and working on dialogue in-between tunes. I told him I would relate some of the history of the pieces. He told me my new goal for the year is to put together a solid 20 minute set. During the second session, we worked on the first measures of Dance. I have a lot to correct and I need to get more starting points, places where I can just pick up the tune at key points. More lesson time today starting at 1pm, another concert between 4-6 and then we wrap things up and tomorrow morning I head out early for the airport and I'm off to Birmingham and quickly hook up with Walbert, if the flight is on time. I have to admit apprehension. I need to develop an attitude of "just relax, go with the flow and work at improving".

No comments:

Post a Comment