Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The School Year Has Begun in Earnest

         Oh I did get spoiled this summer.  It was such a treat to absorb myself in playing guitar and now I am working at adjusting to what is actually "normal". My days from the time I rise in the morning to sometime in the evening are devoted to my career as a high school art teacher.  The summers are always necessary to both students and teachers as opportunities to refresh the mind and spirit. The summer of 2010 shall always be savored in my memory as a very special time of renewal, exploration, improvement and intrinsic joy.  This period has been characterized by goals being striven for and achieved and quickly replaced with new objectives.  The bar is constantly rising just out of reach as I work to stretch my skill level incrementally upward.   This is a prime example of learning being a life-long process.
        I have to realize that it is impossible to maintain the practice schedule that I followed this summer throughout the school year.  I am back to squeezing in a bit of practice during my lunch and for a few minutes before I leave for home and during the evening after I have returned home.  Weekends are precious for their potential for sustained practice time.   I keep a guitar at my desk.  In fact it is my first six-string Breedlove, nicknamed "Buzz" by my dear husband. I will explain the moniker at some later time. This guitar has been through a lot and its acquisition  set in motion the student-teacher relationship that I have with my mentor, Richard Gilewitz.  I would have never met Mr. Gilewitz if I had not stumbled across the Breedlove brand, went to Hoosier Dad's music shop, made the purchase of  that guitar and acted upon the owner's encouragement to attend a concert presented by Gilewitz.  Little did I know in April of 2008, that such vital seed was being planted.  I will continue this later.  It is nearing midnight and I should have been asleep 30 minutes ago.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment